International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System, the world’s most popular English language test for higher education and global migration. 8,000 organizations recognize IELTS as a secure, valid and reliable indicator of true to life ability to communicate in English for education, immigration, and professional accreditation. IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.
Candidates are tested in listening, reading, writing and speaking. All tests are scored on a banded system from 1 (the lowest) through to 9 (the highest possible band score).
IELTS offers a choice of two versions, to serve both academic and non-academic purposes.
• IELTS Academic measures English language proficiency needed for an academic, higher learning environment. The tasks and texts are accessible to all test takers, irrespective of their subject focus.
• IELTS General Training measures English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context. The tasks and texts reflect both work and social situations. The General Training version is suitable for immigration purposes to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
The TOEFL IBT test, administered via the Internet, is an important part of your journey to study in an English-speaking country.
The TOEFL iBT test measures your ability to use and understand English at the university level. And it evaluates how well you combine your listening, reading, speaking and writing skills to perform academic tasks.
More than 27 million people from all over the world have taken the TOEFL test to demonstrate their English-language proficiency. The average English skill level ranges between Intermediate and Advanced.
• Students planning to study at a higher education institution
• English-language learning program admissions and exit
• Scholarship and certification candidates
• English-language learners who want to track their progress
• Students and workers applying for visas
The TOEFL test has more test dates (more than 50 per year) and locations ( 4,500 test centres in 165 countries) than any other English-language test in the world. You can retake the test as many times as you wish, but you cannot take it more than once in a 12-day period. If you already have a test appointment, you cannot register for another test date that is within 12 days of your existing appointment
The cost of the test can range from US$160 to US$250 and varies between countries.